Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Die for me (Amy Plum) *May contain spoilers*


Love the cover, haunting and beautiful. 
I noticed the last few Harper Collins books have been in this theme, I really like it. 
**
What an awesome name this author has, as far as I know, it is her real name. 
**
Anyways....
Die for me, was described by the author as a zombie love story. 
Yeah...no. 
Die for Me (Revenants, #1)


A zombie love story that didn't include actual zombies, they didn't eat people, and there really wasn't any engaging zombie induced emotions. 
Not a zombie love story. 

Now that we have that settled...

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.


When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.


Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

***

The best way to describe this book would be slightly dry, my feelings towards this book aren't strong. I don't hate it, I didn't love it. Vincent is an interesting character, throughout the first book there were some hints of possibly more drama that that will be created by his obsession with Kate. And honestly, if that happened I think it would enrich the story. 

Some hints were, her pondering the statue of an angel, and discovering the way the angel looked at the women he was carrying. I think if you switched this into a real like scenario, and took away some of the fantasy elements; you would find that a good number of teenagers, and even adults find themselves in situations where their partner expects them to *for lack of a better word* save them. I may read the series to see if it goes where I expect it to.  

For the most part, my interest was kept regular. But there were many times where my interest would really lag, nothing that happened in this book honestly, surprised me. Oh, except that Kate held her own. Not diving into the waiting muscular arms of Vincent. 


I was able to put the book down. 
Which if you're me, isn't a good thing.

I liked the characters. I loved the setting of France which added extra mystery around everything, as I've yet to visit there. I loved how the history of France was intertwined throughout this, you can tell that the author really cares about this place. And she makes you too. 

Vincent was tall, dark, immortal and turned every head, he was quiet, shy. Withdrawn, and nobody just goes up to talk with Vincent. Because, well, he's devastatingly gorgeous, with chiseled abs, and a face made by angels.  

Yes, I am mocking it a little. The general character descriptions reminds me of so many YA novels recently...but he is also more than just that. He is an interesting character, fairly complex and slightly mad. *Which is a good incentive to read further on in this story.* 

Amy Plum is a good writer; she crafted a whole new world and a whole new species, created a war that has been fought throughout centuries. Her writing was good, detailed and really showed us France. I liked that. 

The Numa and the Reverents are the two groups. The story was somewhat steady going through the first few chapters, I like that the author actually had the accident of Kate's mother and her father affect this MC, too much are the traumatic emotions of events underplayed in fiction. It had just the right emotion to it, and spent just the right amount of time within this, while it still didn't get tedious. 

There were times when I thought "This is fantastic!". The points when Kate is a really different, unique character; not who I thought she was. I liked that Kate was strong girl, BY HERSELF. I liked that she didn't immediately fall into the arms of Vincent, proclaiming "Oh Vincent!"  swearing, undying love to him. 

She was okay on her own, and for some of the book she was a smart character. She actually tried to avoid him. 

I found that the character arc of her own strength felt kind of shaky to me; like the author almost, wasn't really all that sure about implementing a strong character that didn't heel over for a guy. Of course, in the end she did. 

This story was good, maybe for ages fourteen-fifteen. But I found that by the ending chapters, I had already figured out everything about it. And the actual ending...I really did NOT like. 

Why? 

Well, I won't say for fear of spoiling the book for you, anymore than I already have. If you'd like to discuss it, comment or message me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment