Friday, November 2, 2012

Shiver, The Wolves of Mercy Falls


For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house.

One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. This wolf haunts her, and her him.

Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets Sam as he bleeds on her porch, hiding from men with guns, no longer a wolf. This yellow-eyed boy's presence is just as haunting as the wolfs, his familiarity takes her breath away.
It's her wolf.
As months pass on Grace and Sam grow closer, in love with each other. As winter nears, Sam and Grace have to face the past. Sam has to fight to stay human--because once he's a wolf, he looses himself.

A haunting love story between Grace and Sam, with beautiful writing and leaves you thinking. 
Shiver is a great read for a cold night.

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)

My thoughts on this book are simple, I truly loved it.
It was lyrical and beautiful, descriptive and so haunting. 
I may have found the idea of her being in love with a wolf a little strange, as the werewolves in this book are so much like real wolves, I love this authors style of writing.

It was just such a unique book. Kind of feels like a long lost memory, that is the feeling this book gives you. If this book were a sound it would echo.

I've read that some people found the love story a little unnerving, because she is basically in love with a wolf. Okay, yes that is weird. 
But she isn't. 
Not at first at least, she is fascinated by them but she isn't sexually attracted to them. 
So you don't have to worry about that. 


I found that I really did enjoy it--though reading it in the rain while waiting for the bus in the freezing cold was not fun, and I wouldn't suggest that, I really loved Grace, I thought she was an awesome character so much more independent then most teen heroines which I really loved.

I couldn't believe how oblivious her parents were throughout this entire book--it was mind blowing. I really felt sorry for Grace in that respect, no matter what she did, her parents were just too wrapped up within their own worlds to notice their daughter.

Reading this was like reading about a dream.
And the company who published this and whoever designed this book, deserve a highfive. They made the whole book encompass the feeling of what was inside the book. The whole book was divided into chapters  in a series of temperatures. The werewolf life and culture is so much different then most I've read, a million times better than Twilight. I think what gives this book such a feeling of 'dreaming' is that the human in wolves eventually fades away--which is so sad but so thought provoking. 

I thought Isabelle's transformation throughout book was interesting to see. 

The book switches between Grace's and Sam's POV. And Sam's narration doesn't stop when he's a wolf--imagine that for a second. Sam is a fascinating character. He was really cute. I absolutely adored the relationship between him and Beck. I loved being able to see inside his head when he was a wolf, Maggie did such a great job with this book. 
I could (and would) probably go on and on about how creative this book is, and how I love it because of that. The font was perfect, the appearance of it was a dark blue, not black. The look of it, the feel of it and the creative writing in it, was all superb..

I loved the chemistry between Grace and Sam, and oh my gosh, the surprise ending was so good. 

I did find this book easy to predict, but it was still a great read. 

I  thought at times it was a little strange, her fascination with the wolves--I actually found normal, but the whole idea is strange and fantastic.

I would suggest this to anyone who likes love stories, slightly sad stories that will surprise you, and anyone who wants a strong female lead. It would be a great Christmas present as the whole feel of the book has that winter-y feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment