Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Fault In Our Stars Movie?!

The Fault In Our Stars Movie: thoughts on it and the book 
The publication history and success of John Green's novel, The Fault In Our Stars.

  • The book rose to #1 on Amazon and Barnes and Noble bestsellers lists in June
  • John Green promised that every pre-order would be hand-signed 
  • He signed 150,000 books in a variety of Sharpie colors
  • The Fault in Our Stars debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list for Children's Chapter Books and remained in that spot for seven consecutive weeks. And not too recently made it back on the New York Times Best Seller list 
  • Was the #1 book of 2012
  • Film rights were bought in 2012


The Fault In Our Stars movie!

The fans of this book, myself included, all have different views on it. Some say, it's good. Some say otherwise. And I have to admit, this movie, is going to be, really, damn sad, especially with the director after seeing a little of his last movie, I know he is going to do an amazing job with it.

With the casting of Shailene Woodley as Hazel Grace my attention has been captured by the TFIOS movie adaption. As a bookish person, I'm always complaining about how the book was better than the movie--in fact, I have it in mind, I should just wear a shirt whenever I go to the movies that shows that mentality well, and after constantly being disappointed by Hollywood and film-ish people, the fact that TFIOS is going to be a movie is at the top of my head. 

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that this heartbreaking book is going to be turned into a movie? That, my friends, is the question. 

Though, I find, a fairly pointless one. Of course it is a good thing. This book was amazing--and I feel that many people would benefit from seeing Hazel and Augusts story. 


The entire process of turning a book into movie is hard, I know that, and though I say the book is always better than the movie, I do, in most cases think the movies are pretty good--or in the case of Harry Potter--freaking awesome. And I personally think that TFIOS is going to be another freaking-awesome-heartbreaking-why-are-you-doing-this-to-me movie--to explain, I think that the book will be adapted well. 

You see, despite my review of this book, there were some--few aspects of it I didn't really like--of course the heartbreaking ending kind of overloads you to the point where you forget everything you didn't like or thought could have been improved upon in the book. 

There were some things that I felt were missing in the book--description was one of the biggest things I missed in this book, I felt that it was lacking in a clear message as well--I mean there were just so many my brain went into overload. 
There were so many competing messages and morals in this story that they all kind of got jumbled together--making the sole message of the book unclear. But in some ways that adds to its mystery, after all, every time you read that book you'll find something different in it. Besides, it's reminiscent of life in that way. Beautiful, crazy, and messy. 

I have to admit that I am reluctant to even mutter anything negative about this book because I can see the hoards of Nerdfighters and John Green die-hards with their pitchforks and torches coming to set me straight, but that's how I feel. The description wasn't very descriptive at times, and the book went fast, there were some pretty big things about Hazel's life we just didn't see. BUT that is exactly why I am thinking this movie is going to be so awesome. 

Everything that was missing in the book, or that the book lacked would, I think, be represented well within a movie. I think with a movie they will have the opportunity to really expand on the description, (and by that I of course mean the setting and the mood in the film). 




And, I have to admit the casting is pretty close to how I envisioned Hazel Grace within the book. 

In conclusion  I'm excited for the movie. I loved the book--love the book, sure I feel that the description could have been expanded on, I felt that there were so many morals and messages within the book that they did have a tendency to get tangled up in your head, but well, given what he was writing about I'm not surprised that the messages and little truths you find in this book became frazzled and entwined. 

I do hope though that fans of the book will refrain from starting up on all of the "true fan" non-sense that usually comes from book-to-movie adaptions. 

"Because I read the books first, I'm a true tribute!" 
"You're don't love Harry Potter as much as I do because I read the books first!"

Though I will not deny taking part in--at least--the Harry Potter fan-non-sense, (I was young, give me a break), I hope that everyone who has read the books, and who sees the movie will realize that obviously the story can mean a hell of a lot to whoever reads/watches it. So please guys, try to refrain from doing all of that non-sense. 

And the director, judging by his previous movie, Stuck In Love, is going to really capture the essence of this book. 


To see the trailer for Stuck In Love follow this link: Stuck in Love
To see my review of John Green's novel go here


No comments:

Post a Comment