Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Two Towers: J.R.R. Tolkien

The Two Towers is second installment of The Lord of the Rings, for those who don't know it is an amazing read.

In some ways this was sort of Everest for me, I found that I had a hard time focusing on the book because of the dense description and intense, complicated wording of it, it was a hard book to get through. But there comes a point after really focusing on it, you don't need to push yourself through it, you just read it and love it.

This book is written in older English which means it can be a little more difficult at sometimes but it was amazing; Tolkien is an amazing writer, he not only creates a vivid landscape but he creates worlds within each word that sticks with you. This book is so much bigger than it seems.

If you haven't already, read it.

I can safely say this is one of my favorite series so far.
Coming in second to Harry Potter though.

Problems you may find with this book:

  • This book isn't the easiest to read (as I said)--J.R.R. Tolkien likes description--a lot. At times it could drag on and become hard to comprehend but it was worth it because eventually he painted this vibrant world with stomach clenching cliffs and freezing weather.
     
  • And as I said, this book was written a long time ago so the English is very different from how we speak today. You have to actually have to focus on the book, it is a harder read than what you may be used to. 



But honestly this book was an intense ride through sickening landscape, terror inducing caves and sheer cliffs that dropped you into oblivion.

Seriously this book was intense. Full of so much adventure and adversity and vibrant characters, beautiful descriptions and an amazing world.

The book is very different from the movie though, it is longer and includes different characters and entire scenes that go differently.

Reading the book I've actually gained a new perspective on how well the movie was done--I have new respect for all the writers and the directors, they were up against when making the movies. And they had to condense it while keeping true to the story; which they really did.

In some ways I was at a disadvantage because I had already seen all the movies, and I always like reading the books before the movies, though I already knew what happened to Frodo and the ring and Sam, as soon as I was done the book I wished that I had the next book in the series.

This book is something I honestly think everyone who loves fantasy and exploring different world should read.


No comments:

Post a Comment