Monday, October 21, 2013

An apology and finally a review of Pretties

First things first

Sorry! 
I've been so inactive lately. I know it sucks, I'm hoping that now since I've gotten into the swing of things, I'll be able to get back to this. The only problem?? Well, >.< school.  



And as promised, the review for Pretties.
Another book in the 2013 Book Cross Over
 





Gorgeous. 

Popular. 
Perfect. 
Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive





A recap of the Ugilies...
All through her life Tally had only ever wanted one thing. 

To be Pretty. 
The first book in this series was Tally's journey to find the Smoke. A city where people live as Uglies their entire lives. Of course, as we all remember, she was blackmailed into it. The Smoke is a place where nature is truly allowed to take its course and throughout the novel Tally is faced with two distinctly different sides of her world, we're caught wondering what she'll do but hoping she'll choose to stay 'Ugly'. After being out in nature for a while, and meeting David, and understanding. Tally decided to stay, but unforeseen circumstances made her decision to become Pretty almost noble.

By the end of the first book Tally had become a much stronger character, though I wasn't entirely happy about her throwing the locket in the fire, I did grow to like her. 

In this book, Pretties, has Tally as a very unpleasant character. 


***

So the second installment starts off with Tally's dream-turned-nightmare being realized. 
*Not that we all didn't see that coming...

Tally's finally pretty. 
*
*
Oh golly Miss. Molly, how perfect! 
*
Not only is she a mild-rule breaker, constant-party girl, and falling for the leader of the Crims (the elite group that she's accepted into), but everything, like Tally's perfectly straight nose and aligned cheekbones is perfect. Seriously, she has everything a shallow individual could possibly want.


She's apart of a very 'in' crowd, she has Shay back, a boyfriend, endless fame, ect, ect... she barely remembers the days she spent living in the Smoke; it's all a distant dream. 
A silly, Ugly prank. 
She's forgotten everything, even David. 



Tally's free from her ugly past for a little while until a series of events and appearances lead her to the clues to a letter. 
A letter written by her



She finds out about the Smoke again, struggles to stay "bubbly", and fights again with Special Circumstances. 



Tally's life becomes complicated when, with a split second decision, she and  her new BF are taking one pill each, said to be the cure to being "Pretty".



Of course it didn't work out. 
As the pills were meant to be taken together.

What did I think...???



Pretties pretty much met my expectations but that isn't exactly a good thing. It was disappointing in many ways. I've moved from liking Tally, to loving Tally, to really disliking her--if you've read this book you'd know why I dislike her so much at the moment. Scott Westerfield's writes in a very factual way--less descriptive than I like but I do like his books, he creates very fact-based worlds that are interesting and surprising. 

This book was okay--I'm not a huge fan of this installment. Tally changed--the first book I really did like--I loved the message and lessons in it. But this second book...well...you'll find out when you read it. The heartbreaking ending was mind-blowing. I liked Tally in the first book, she was a fresh, original character, very much an individual. 



I liked Tally a lot when she was an Ugly, because like her beauty, her character was more complex. And I felt the first book had more depth to it.  



By the end of this book I really didn't like her, and as a Heroine she let me down. 



She was conceited, she was annoying, and the fact that her and her new BF were always trying to stay "Bubbly", well there is not one thing about that concept that didn't bug me. And as for how it ended...well I am sorry, I do get why she did it, but I hated it. 




So to conclude: This book was alright
I didn't like Tally by the end of it. 
But I will probably read the next book. 

Let's see if Tally can redeem herself.


No comments:

Post a Comment